John grew up in North Vancouver and attended Highlands, Balmoral and Delbrook Schools. John received his law degree from UBC in 1976 and was called to the British Columbia Bar in 1977.
After practicing law in Prince Rupert and downtown Vancouver, John returned to North Vancouver to practice law in 1981 and by 1986 partnered with James Straith for the beginnings of Lakes Straith and Whyte LLP. A solicitor at heart, John’s practice is a “Peoples practice” primarily focused on Wills and Estates, small Business law, and real estate.
Equally important as living, working and raising a family in North Vancouver, are the opportunities John has taken to give back to the community that has given so much to him.
John and his wife, Clare raised their two adult daughters in Lynn Valley. John has been involved in many community organizations and initiatives, including, the North Vancouver Chamber of Commerce, North Shore Neighbourhood House, West Coast Alternatives, the North Shore Disability Resource Centre, Friends of the North Vancouver Museum, and has fundraised for the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation. John has taught courses for the Continuing Legal Education Society and People’s Law School. Swimming, cycling, skiing, hiking and gardening round out his active life.
A. John Lakes
Wills and Estates Lawyer, North Vancouver, BC
WILLS, ESTATES and TRUSTS
- Wills and Estate Planning
- Powers of Attorney
- Representation Agreements
- Probate and; Estate Administration
- Estate Disputes
- Business Incorporation
- Business Acquisitions and Sales
- Purchase and Sale of Residential Real Estate (Freehold, Strata, Leasehold, Undivided Interests)
- Mortgages and Refinancing
- Construction Loans
- Purchase and Sale of Commercial Property
- Co-ownership Agreements
- Trust Declarations
- Foreclosures and Collections
- Property Disputes
- The Law Society of British Columbia
- Canadian Bar Association
- North Shore Bar Association
- North Vancouver Chamber of Commerce